Getting started with goal setting can seem like an overwhelming task. Thinking about all the things you want to achieve, making plans about how you will achieve them, how fast and in what order – it can all feel a bit much.
When setting goals, it is important to take it slow and outline manageable, realistic steps in order to avoid overwhelm. When we are overwhelmed, we tend to “mentally freeze” and end up procrastinating and not using our time productively, which ultimately results in goals that are left floating just out of reach.
In this blog, we take you through some easy-to-follow steps to get you started on your goal-making journey, explain what an example of goal setting is, and outline types of goals and types of goal setting. All to help you get started on reaching for your dreams, in a realistic and manageable way.
In this blog, we’re going to discuss the steps you can take to kickstart an Animal Care career & explore the ways in which you can get ahead of the game.
What are the 3 types of goals?
What are the 5 steps in goal setting?
The best way to set goals that you will stick to is by putting in place goal-setting systems or frameworks to chunk the process down into manageable steps.
We have outlined 5 easy-to-follow steps below, to help you make a start in setting your goals in a way that works for YOU:
- Recognise what you want (outlining your goals) – First thing’s first, lay out what you want. What are your big outcome goals? What big steps do you need to take, in order to achieve them? What little changes and actions can you make every day to get you towards where you need to be? Writing out what you want is an extremely empowering and important step in manifesting and focusing on your dreams. Once these goals have been identified, you have set the process in motion and are making the move to be proactive about attaining what you want in life, whether that be work-related or personal.
- Prioritise your goals – In order for your dreams to become a reality, you have to keep as clear-headed as possible. Having a beeline laser focus on what you want to achieve without allowing yourself to stray from your path is hard, but it can be done. It takes determination and self-discipline to achieve the goals you set, and so getting to know yourself, how you work and what you may need to put in place in order to stay focused is an extremely beneficial process.
- What are the challenges/obstacles you may face along the way – Identifying any difficulties you may face along the way is an important step in reaching your goals. By looking at what the bumps in the road may be, you empower yourself to be ready and prepared for these obstacles, allowing you to apprehend them and face them head-on when they arise. These obstacles could be personal, work-related, financial, or even destructive outside forces – whatever the storms along the way, be sure you have your raincoat.
- Motivating yourself – Motivation; is not always easy is it? Different things will motivate different people, and so recognising what your drivers are – that will help keep you focused and motivated on your goal-reaching journey – is vital. Deadlines can be a great incentive to stay motivated, and perhaps asking others to help keep you accountable for reaching these deadlines could be of benefit also.
- Track your progress and celebrate the small wins along the way – The little things matter. It can be easy to get overwhelmed by thoughts of the big goals – will I ever reach them, they feel so far away, I have such a long way to go…These thoughts are natural but unhelpful. It is super important to acknowledge the small wins along the way, the little triumphs and successes that you achieve on your way to your outcome goals. Keeping a close track of your progress and congratulating yourself when you tick something off your process list will keep you motivated and optimistic as you get closer to your dream.
Our American neighbours over at Indeed offer a handy career guide with further advice and information on setting and achieving your goals at each stage of the process.
Want to take your learning further?
We never stop learning. There are always more ways we can grow and develop and strive to be the best we can be.
Once your goals are set, it’s time to start putting them into action. And what better way to further your learning and strive for greatness than with an online short course with My Learning Online?
Whether you are starting anew or want an educational refresher, a short course can help you upskill and get you closer to reaching your goals in your chosen profession.
We offer a vast range of comprehensive courses in various business sectors. Whatever stage you’re at in your journey, a certificate is an impressive asset that will allow you to put new knowledge and skills in your resume for an added touch of employability.
Not only will you learn new skills on one of our online courses, but you will also have opportunities to network with like-minded people, opening doors to different job opportunities and business ventures that you perhaps hadn’t been exposed to before.
Check out our courses in:
All our certificates follow an entirely online course structure, giving you the flexibility to work your learning around your schedule and lifestyle. This 24/7 access to learning and total flexibility is what sets us apart from other study programs, and is the perfect choice for anyone who perhaps does not have the time or resources to commit to a full-time degree course.
Each of our courses comes with a downloadable brochure with more information on course content, accessing your learning online, tutor support and more. We also have course fee payment plans available to make the financial side of things that little bit easier.
We have a friendly team of course consultants on hand to answer any questions or queries you may have and to help direct you towards the best course for you. Speak to one of our consultants today to find out more about any of the courses which spark your interest.
Get closer to reaching your goals with a short course from My Learning Online and watch your potential reach new heights.