Interested in working with horses? Then you might be wondering how to get into the horse industry. Lucky for you, the answer is right here!
Horses are incredible creatures. Working alongside these gentle giants can be an extremely rewarding experience for both human and horse. They are highly sensitive and energetic creatures, and there are an endless number of equine careers to choose from.
With everything from sport, breeding, healing, confidence building, coaching and mental health support, these incredible creatures have so much to offer, and when paired with the perfect handler, it is a recipe for success.
In this blog, we will take you through the best ways to get into the horse industry, as well as open your eyes to some of the more unique equine job opportunities.
How horse courses can give you the best start to your equine career
At My Learning Online, we offer a huge range of equine studies to help you get into the horse industry, and we are known for our comprehensive and professionally crafted online course content and structure.
Our horse care courses include:
- Equine Studies – Our Equine Studies Certificate will teach you all about the physical needs of horses, including grooming, environment management, and general health, as well as the mental well-being of your four-legged friends, getting to understand their behaviour and nature. This course will equip you with a firm base knowledge of equine care and maintenance to ensure that these magnificent beasts are properly cared for.
- Equine Business – Looking to create a business rooted in your love of horses and a passion for teaching and inspiring others? Our Equine Business Certificate is the perfect start for learning how to set up your own horse-based business, such as horse training, pony club or trail rides. You will gain a strong base knowledge in horse care and breeding, as well as many need-to-knows about running a business centred around horses.
- Horse Breeding – This course offers a solid base knowledge of horse care and wellbeing, paired with a focus on safely breeding horses, equine anatomy and helping with the birthing process. It is perfect for anyone looking to make a start in the industry and to support further training and supervised experience.
Horse breeding is a practice that requires extensive skill and experience, and even the most well-versed breeders should keep up to date with their skills by refreshing their knowledge and using different resources to gain more insight into their work.
- Equine Care – Our Equine Care certificate provides well-rounded training, giving you all the knowledge and skills you will need in order to correctly and professionally care for horses, such as proper grooming, stable and environment maintenance, equine health and wellbeing and other practicalities that come with ensuring the utmost care for their amazing creatures.
Being home to a thriving equine industry, looking at horse courses in Australia is a wise career move for any budding equestrian. Taking one of our equine courses in Australia is an excellent start to your career as an equine specialist.
Jobs in the horse industry have become more expansive, particularly in the health, well-being and coaching sectors.
Here are some of the best and most up-and-coming equine jobs:
- Equine Vet – Learning the ins and outs of equine anatomy, performing life-saving surgeries and procedures on these large animals, as well as having an extensive base knowledge of the general mental and physical health and wellbeing of horses, the job of an equine vet is a vital one.
- Groom – Horses require extensive grooming and daily care, as well as having their environments properly maintained to ensure tip-top health. That is where a groom comes in. Their job is to know all about the keeping and caring of horses, making sure they are comfortable, well fed and watered, and receive the appropriate stimulation and exercise to stay fit and well. There are also more extensive and specific grooming jobs, such as the job of a farrier, responsible for correctly shoeing horses’ feet.
- Equine Learning Facilitator – Horses are now being used in a number of educational settings to help advance learning and to get people working in a more grounded and present way. This can be applied to a multitude of jobs, looking to support ideals of teamwork, communication, grounding and calm.
- Equine Complementary Health Therapist – Similarly to humans, horses are now able to reap the benefits of complementary health therapies such as massage, acupressure, acupuncture, reflexology and energy work. These calming, healing treatments speak to a horse’s natural energetic instincts and can have extremely beneficial effects on their physical and mental well-being.
- Equine Psychology and Coaching – Animal therapies have become increasingly popular in recent years, with their calming and instinctive natures speaking to something deep within the human psyche. Horses are often used in the coaching of psychology scenarios to help patients open up about their issues and learn to trust themselves, grounding them in the present moment and allowing a safe space for them to share.
Equine coaching has also proved extremely beneficial in helping troubled children, people with learning difficulties or extreme trauma, as well as aiding in the rehabilitation of prisoners or those with extreme mental health issues.
- Professional rider/riding coach – Professional riding and competing is still a popular job in the equine community. Correct riding technique and care of the horses is paramount to ensure safety for both horse and rider and, when well executed, can have both human and animal working beautifully in harmony. A riding coach can help facilitate this, being an extra pair of eyes with extensive knowledge to guide a rider to be on their best form and to create a strong bond with their horse.
Wherever your equine passions lie, looking into horse courses online is one of the most efficient and flexible ways to get you ready for an equine career. Equine courses in Australia can give you the tools, skills and knowledge to manage and care for these creatures and open your eyes to job opportunities you may not have considered previously.
Why choose My Learning Online to pursue your equine career?
All our certificates follow an entirely online course structure, giving you the flexibility to work your learning around your schedule and lifestyle. This 24/7 access to learning and total accessibility – whatever your background – is what sets us apart from other study programs and is the perfect choice for anyone who perhaps does not have the time or resources to commit to a full-time degree course.
Each of our courses comes with a downloadable brochure with more information on course content, accessing your learning online, tutor support and more. We also have course fee payment plans available if you would prefer to spread your payments.
Our friendly team, of course, consultants are on hand to answer any questions or queries you may have about these courses and to help direct you towards the best course for you. Chat with one of our consultants to find out more about any of the courses which spark your interest and how to get you started on the career of your dreams.
Enrol today with one of our equine courses and get your hoof in the door!