Food is a huge part of our everyday lives. It’s a form of celebration, a way to feel energised and a way to come together. But as we slowly begin to understand just how much of an impact it has on our health, wellbeing and even our moods, the demand for nutritionists is seeing rapid growth.
The global nutrition sector is expected to grow over 8% every year, meaning nutrition careers in Australia are likely to offer a bustling, secure & rewarding way to work.
So if food has always been a passion, now could be the time to take that leap into starting the nutrition business you’ve always dreamed of…but how? We are here to help, with our guide on how to start your very own nutrition business, and the online courses to use as your launchpad!
What does a nutritionist do? And what is a nutrition business?
Nutritionists use their knowledge of food science and nutrition to advise clients and customers on all aspects of diet, personal health and wellbeing. This can include daily tasks such as:
- Assessing new patients
- Designing diet plans for clients
- Calculating nutritional values
- Coordinating appointments and check-ups
- Monitoring client progress
Running your own nutrition business gives you more flexibility to set your own schedule, and the potential to reach a wider audience. Using your unique knowledge, you could also work on:
- Managing your social media presence
- Organising webinars and talks
- Hosting your own podcast or YouTube channel
- Running an educational food blog
- Specialising in a niche area such as sports or prenatal nutrition
With more experience you could even earn up to $110,000 per year. And, if you choose to start your own business, this figure could climb even higher.
As well as being a well paid career, starting a nutrition business is an incredibly rewarding path. By improving the diets of your clients and their families, not only are you empowering individuals to take their health into their own hands, but you are helping to take the pressure off other parts of the healthcare system too.
The more people you can reach with your message, the larger your impact will be!
So, how do you start a career in nutrition?
In Australia, there are no formal requirements for becoming a nutritionist. Some choose to volunteer for food organisations to gain insight into the industry, or intern at other nutrition establishments to gain the relevant skills.
However, being appropriately educated in your own right is crucial to providing the right support and guidance to clients. Plus, those with a specialised nutritionist certification are much more likely to achieve employment and attract clients than those without any formal qualifications! So the right training is essential to starting your dream online nutrition business.
However, a lengthy degree isn’t right for everyone, and often isn’t the most cost effective option for turning your passion into a profitable business. Which is why more and more passionate foodies are turning to online nutrition courses and short nutrition courses to begin their journey.
Our Nutrition Business Certificate has been specifically designed to offer the best of both worlds. Covering all the fundamental knowledge you need to stand above the competition and start a thriving business in this sector.
This online nutrition business course allows you to study when it suits you, and comes with an affordable payment plan that works for any budget. Meaning you can even earn while you learn.
Once you have the appropriate knowledge at your fingertips, it’s time to start your business! You can use the checklist below as a guide for how to get started:
- Register with a governing body – it’s always a good idea to register your credentials so that clients can put their faith in you to help them succeed. You can find a list of governing bodies here.
- Decide on your business structure – You might want to simply register as self-employed, or formally register your business as a company in itself. You can follow the government guidelines for this here.
- Find your niche – It’s a great idea to have a think about where your passion lies in the nutrition sphere, to stake your claim in that area. This will differentiate you from everyone else in the industry and help guide your decisions.
If you want to specialise further and carve out your niche, you can extend your learning with our courses in Maternal And Children’s Nutrition & Sports Nutrition.
- Set up an office – You have a few options here. You could hire an office space by the month and have more control over the environment and decor, or to save money you could hire office space by the hour for when you see clients. Alternatively, you could use a space in your own home if that is something that is feasible for you, or even run an entirely digital practice using video calls.
- Create your website & social media platforms – Purchasing a domain & getting started with a website and social media platforms will help to get your name and services out into the world.
- Boost your profile – There are lots of ways to use your new platforms to get clients hearing your name. You could start writing a weekly newsletter, post frequently on your website’s blog, run online challenges with your followers or give free talks in the local area.
- Set your prices – To determine your initial rates, do a survey of other similar businesses in the area, and find out how much experience they have. The more experience you have, the higher you can set your prices, depending on the area you are in and the clientele you wish to work with.
- Create tailored nutrition plans – Using your amazing knowledge, ensure your clients have a positive and life-changing experience with you through their tailored plans. This will enable word of mouth to spread and boost your client enquiries.
We understand that to make the dream of being your own boss come true means that you need the right skills. To help you thrive and grow your client base, our nutrition business course comes with small business training, plus two bonus short courses on social media marketing! This will help you establish an online presence, build your following and grow that client list.
It’s the perfect way to turn that passion for food and wellbeing into the business you’ve always dreamed of! Join us today and enrol online.