Capturing moments of a couple’s special day is one of the most highly requested forms of photography in the business. Each wedding celebrates the intimacy between two committed people with specific styles and vibes, and as a result, each wedding will have a different aesthetic. This is why taking photographs that capture the magic of each specific ceremony is a true skill.
The job of a wedding photographer is to capture the most precious moments of the day; from the posed couple and family photos to candid shots of dancing and all the little smiles and looks that may go unnoticed by the masses.
Today, we are going to take you through how to get the perfect wedding shots, covering different photography styles and the key elements of wedding photography, helping to keep the happy couple, well, happy!
Basic photography shots and angles
Before getting started with any form of photography, there are some basics you will need to know:
Getting together a wedding shot tick list will help to make everything easier on the day. This is something that will need to be discussed with the couple beforehand to make sure that all their favourite moments will be caught on film.
Every couple will have a different list of photo requirements they will want captured, and so this list will become your own personal photography bible when the big day arrives.
Here are a few ideas for some of the moments that may be popular to capture, from getting ready all the way through to the last one standing on the dancefloor:
- Getting ready – makeup, hair, the works!
- Dress reveal to the bridesmaids
- Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue
- Groom getting ready
- Family shots (insert extended family list!)
- Bride before the ceremony
- Groom at the end of the aisle
- The kiss
- Cutting of the cake
- Reception room shots before guests arrive
- Close-ups of table settings and food
- First dance
- Private moments between the happy couple
Creative wedding photo ideas
Want to offer something a bit more unique for your clients? Don’t sweat it!
We’ve gathered a few of our favourite creative wedding photo ideas to make you the go-to photographer for wedding season:
- Silhouette of the bride(s) and mother of the bride(s) – a beautiful mother-daughter moment captured in an elegant and emotive way
- First look photos – whether mother and child, happy couple, or the excited reaction of the bridesmaids and groomsmen. First-look photos are always filled with joy and energy
- A shot of the bouquet in mid-air as it is tossed to the eager crowd
- Secret looks exchanged between the happy couple – smiles, gazes, grins. In other words, those little moments that show just how strong their love is
- The happy couple with their fists in the air, looking triumphant as they head back down the aisle as partners
Our Irish neighbours over at One Fab Day also offer a brilliant list of some of the most popular creative wedding photo ideas to wow the crowd.
Study photography with My Learning Online
Does a career in photography sound like something you’d love? Get your dreams off to the best possible start and get snapping with a photography certification online with My Learning Online!
Our courses include:
- Photography – let’s start with the basics: you will learn everything you need to know about camera parts, shots and angles, creating a portfolio, and so much more. This is the perfect course for any budding photographer
- Portrait Photography – an extremely popular style of photography, often called upon for fashion and cosmetics, editorial and creative work, as well as headshots and portraiture for industry professionals, creative artistic endeavours and special occasions. This course will equip you will the knowledge and keen eye for capturing each unique face
- Photography Business – the perfect course to help you get to grips with the practicalities of running a photography business, as well as supporting you in building your portfolio and reaching out to potential clients
- Professional Photography – the student will become the master! By the end of this course, you will be fully equipped with all the professional industry-level know-how to thrive in a career as a professional photographer
- Wildlife Photography – considered one of the most magical and rewarding forms of photography, you will learn how to capture the essence of some of the world’s weirdest and most wonderful creatures, getting up close and personal to animal worlds you otherwise would never have discovered
These courses will teach you just how photography professionals do it. Through a combination of unit workbooks, video tutorials and exercises, you will learn how to build and hone your skills in logical steps, ensuring that you are equipped with all the tools you will need to succeed in a photography career.
We’ll take you through all the need-to-know basics such as: lighting, aperture, shutter speed, appropriate lenses for different projects, as well as making sure you are up to speed with the processes that take place post-photography session, editing with Photoshop and Lightroom to make your photos the best they can be.
Best of all, you will learn how to capture magic – the people you meet, the places you go, and the natural wonders that make themselves known. With your camera at your side, the possibilities are endless.
These industry-leading courses have been professionally developed and will put you in the best possible place to start a career in the photography sector. Whether you have an organisation in mind that you have always dreamed of working for, or you want to set up your own business which puts you in the driver’s seat of your photography themes and photography salary, it is our job to help you reach your fullest potential.
All of our photography courses include a DSLR camera for you to use for the duration of your training, making sure you have the right gear to capture those magic moments. All courses come with a downloadable course brochure and further information about our online learning system, module breakdowns, tutor support and payment plans too.
Choose one of My Learning Online’s online photography courses for a picture-perfect start to your career.